Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Response

What happens after death is a greater mystery for some than even the miracle of birth itself. The theories, beliefs, and disbelief's are as vast as there are people dying in this world. Some of these views of death are punitive and some of them rehabilitative. Some contain the idea of reincarnation yet others believe in misery, damnation, and the unknown. It is any ones guess on which one is the truth or if any of our theories about dying are even close at all. Looking through the blogs of our fellow classmates I can see the different beliefs and theories of what happens during life, before life, and after death. I find it very thoughtful that Jake's blog included different cultures and belief systems and how they may be different they still have much in common. I find it vital that the various beliefs and morals of different religions and philosophies are shared and have great respect for those who are willing to display their own beliefs on there blog without fear of judgement. Sharing knowledge about different viewpoints (which is much of what this class is about) is what helps us understand each other even if we do not agree.
I also agree with Nathanael that it would be interesting to study the biblical version in hell as well as further explore the reasons for the belief of a heaven or a hell. Dante's Inferno is indeed the one thing I have been looking forward to this semester. The concept of having 9 layers of Hell based on different crimes is very interesting. I find it impressive that Dante developed this image and story and wonder how many of these great writers develop some oaf these concepts. Concepts and stories that especially have nothing else to goof of. Like a person painting a picture without ever seeing an object. The theory's of what a "pear" might look like from those who have never actually seen one would be just as interesting as Dante's version of Hell. I agree with Scot ts reference to T.S. Elliot's saying that" There is Shakespeare and Dante and nothing else comes close". 
  I have never read Dante's inferno before but after looking over of some summary's there are many interesting things about the poem. In class where I heard that Satan was trapped in ice I pictured him completely engulfed as if frozen solid. However, he is only frozen from the waist down and is fighting vigorously to get free. The The cold wins only trap him more. I found this to be a mind opening moment. I have always had the picture in my mind that Satan "Reigned over Hell or at least was the chief individual there. From reading this my vision was changed from Satan being the ruler of Hell to him being punished just as much as the rest of the damned. I found this to be a very interesting view of things. I always pictured Satan being damned to Hell as a very bad place but him as somewhat of the chief of the damned.  

No comments:

Post a Comment